Tuesday 18 October 2011

There's a moose loose aboot this hoose.

There's a moose loose aboot this hoose!
This is a phrase to illustrate Scottish pronunciation  (a moose = a mouse)

loose and lose
I'm not sure why these two should get mixed up since they are pronounced differently, in Scotland at any rate!

To lose is the verb. (pronounced looze)

I don't want to lose my place in the queue.
Loose is an adjective, pronounced loose and it rhymes with moose.

He's got a loose tooth.
He's got a screw loose.

Test yourself:

  1. Where did you … your glasses?
  2. I always …  my way here. 
  3. He was at a … end.
  4. There's a killer on the ….
  5. All hell broke …
  6. He stands to … his house.

ANSWERS: paste upside down answers into FLIP


˙ǝsnoɥ sıɥ ǝsol oʇ spuɐʇs ǝɥ 6
˙ǝsool ǝʞoɹq llǝɥ llɐ 5
˙ǝsool ǝɥʇ uo ɹǝllıʞ ɐ s,ǝɹǝɥʇ 4
˙puǝ ǝsool ɐ ʇɐ sɐʍ ǝɥ 3
 ˙ǝɹǝɥ ʎɐʍ ʎɯ ǝsol sʎɐʍlɐ ı 2
¿sǝssɐlƃ ɹnoʎ ǝsol noʎ pıp ǝɹǝɥʍ 1



No comments:

Post a Comment