Monday 17 October 2011

He shouldn't of said it!

Must of, should of, would of
This misuse of "of" is one of my pet hates.  It is simply wrong, a corruption of have. 
I must have done this or  I must've done this.
He should have or he should've.
She would have or she would've.
They wouldn't have.

Another incorrect usage is bored "of". I suspect that it is again a corruption of bored "with" which is the correct usage.


Test yourself:
  1. Should … gone to Specsavers. (advert)
  2. It must … been me.
  3. It would … been easier.
  4. That might … been more sensible.
  5. Let's see what  you would … won.

Answers: paste upside down answers into FLIP

ǝʌ,plnoʍ ɹo ˙ǝʌɐɥ plnoʍ noʎ ʇɐɥʍ ǝǝs s,ʇǝl ˙5     
ǝʌ,ʇɥƃıɯ ɹo ˙ǝlqısuǝs ǝɹoɯ ǝʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ ʇɐɥʇ ˙4     
ǝʌ,plnoʍ  ɹo ˙ɹǝısɐǝ uǝǝq ǝʌɐɥ plnoʍ ʇı ˙3     
ǝʌ,ʇsnɯ ɹo ˙ǝɯ uǝǝq ǝʌɐɥ ʇsnɯ ʇı ˙2     
ǝʌ,plnoɥs ɹo ˙sɹǝʌɐsɔǝds oʇ ǝuoƃ ǝʌɐɥ plnoɥs ˙1       

No comments:

Post a Comment