Thursday 6 October 2011

practice makes perfect

The words practice and practise cause confusion since they are pronounced the same.

I always remember which is which by thinking of advice/advise which are pronounced differently.

Advice is the noun and advise is the verb. Similarly practice is the noun and practise the verb.

So I need a lot of practice. (noun) cf I need a lot of advice.
I practise every day. (verb) cf I advise every day.

I hunted BBC news stories for some examples.

… pledged to share best practice ideas 
In practice, this means that emerging nations like China …
 The BBC got it wrong here.
In a speech at the Conservative Party conference, he said it was not enough to just have the right qualifications to practice.(sic) (to practise = verb)
 But they got it right here!

The GP was given a suspended sentence in Germany for death by negligence but has still been able to practise there.

Test yourself:

  1. It's important we pr…
  2. Hippocrates pioneered the pr… of clinical observation.
  3. This is bad pr…
  4. Pr… what you preach!
  5. I'll manage it with some pr…!
Answers: paste the upside down answers into FLIP
 to save turning computer upside down!

¡ǝɔıʇɔɐɹd ǝɯos ɥʇıʍ ʇı ǝƃɐuɐɯ ll,ı  5
¡ɥɔɐǝɹd noʎ ʇɐɥʍ ǝsıʇɔɐɹd  4
ǝɔıʇɔɐɹd pɐq sı sıɥʇ  3
˙uoıʇɐʌɹǝsqo lɐɔıuılɔ ɟo (unou) ǝɔıʇɔɐɹd ǝɥʇ pǝɹǝǝuoıd sǝʇɐɹɔoddıɥ  2
(qɹǝʌ) ˙ǝsıʇɔɐɹd ǝʍ ʇuɐʇɹodɯı s,ʇı 1



This post presupposes that you can distinguish nouns and verbs in a sentence.
If anyone wants help with picking out nouns and verbs, leave a comment or email me.



No comments:

Post a Comment