Thursday 13 October 2011

… and I

People think the use of I instead of me is more polite or posh, so must be correct.
My husband and I
like swimming.
My friends and I are going shopping.

So far, so good. The italicised words above are the subjects of the sentences and "I" is a subject pronoun.

We could stay together, you and I. (the Drifters) 
Here "you and I" = we, the subject of the sentence.

My family gave my husband and me a bottle of champagne.

You can't say: My family gave I a bottle of champagne, so you can't say they gave my husband and I a bottle, either. This is an example where the nouns/ pronouns are the (indirect) object of the verb "gave".

Similarly after prepositions such as after, with, to, by,
eg with you and me, for the boys and me. Try saying "with I" or "for I" - clearly wrong.

Rule of thumb: if it sounds wrong when you take the bit before the I/me " … and " out, it is probably wrong

Test yourself:
You and … can't go.
Is that cake for Mary and …?
Can you give Tom and … a lift?
Mary will be on after you and ….
When will you and … be famous?
My friends and … will be along later.



Answers: paste the upside down answers into FLIP
 to save turning your computer upside down!

˙ɹǝʇɐl ƃuolɐ ǝq llıʍ ı puɐ spuǝıɹɟ ʎɯ 6
¿snoɯɐɟ ǝq ı puɐ noʎ llıʍ uǝɥʍ 5
˙ǝɯ puɐ noʎ ɹǝʇɟɐ uo ǝq llıʍ ʎɹɐɯ 4
¿ʇɟıl ɐ ǝɯ puɐ ɯoʇ ǝʌıƃ noʎ uɐɔ 3
¿ǝɯ puɐ ʎɹɐɯ ɹoɟ ǝʞɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ sı 2
˙oƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ noʎ 1



2 comments:

  1. Bridegrooms, at the wedding reception, don't say: on behalf of my wife and I - please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely!

    Fine to begin with "My wife and I are delighted to welcome you today." but after the preposition "of" you can't say "of I" so it must be "on behalf of my wife and me"

    ReplyDelete