Wednesday 30 November 2011

personal pronouns

We've previously looked at I or me.  
The same rules apply to other pronouns.

I, we, he, she & they are the subject forms; 
me, us, him, her & them are the object forms.
you is the same for both subject and object. 
There is no such word as yous or youse! 

Use of I we he she they- the subject of a verb

I will be late.
Jim and I will be late.
We will be late. 
He and she will be married in June.
We buy our clothes in designer stores, we young things. (The second we is still the subject of buy.)
I went shopping. 
My friends and I went shopping. 
We went shopping.
They went shopping.

You can't start a sentence with me or us or him or her or them (unless her mother…  Here, her is an adjective not a pronoun)
Me and Jim were late. xxxxx wrong
Him and me were late. xxxxx wrong
Jim and I were late.
He and I were late
Normally you put the other person before yourself. It's polite!


Use of me us him her them as the object of a verb.
Did you see me in town?
Did you see us in town?
Did you see Mary and me in town?

The object form is used after a preposition: for, with, to etc
with me, after us, between you and me, for John and us,  by them.


Test yourself
Fix the mistakes in the following. 

  1. Is this present for Tom and I?
  2. Me and Annie are going to London.
  3. Us oldies like our comforts. 
  4. Him and me are very happy.
  5. Are yous coming? 
  6. He asked you and I for lunch.
  7. We like our curries, us young ones.
  8. Her and her mother are fond of shoes.
  9. He took her and I to the seaside. 
  10. Between you and I, she's a cheat.







Answers
  1. Is this present for Tom and me?
  2. Annie and I are going to London.
  3. We oldies like our comforts. 
  4. He and I are very happy.
  5. Are you coming? 
  6. He asked you and me for lunch.
  7. We like our curries, we young ones.
  8. She and her mother are fond of shoes.
  9. He took her and me to the seaside. 
  10. Between you and me, she's a cheat.






No comments:

Post a Comment